Postdoctoral Scientist Cancer Research (m/f) - 2 years (optional extension)
Post Doctoral Program
We are seeking an enthusiastic, highly motivated and creative postdoctoral scientist to join the department of Cancer Research at Boehringer Ingelheim RCV (Vienna, Austria) to explore new concepts in DNA repair and genome stability. The recent success of PARP inhibitors in the treatment of BRCA-mutated ovarian and breast cancer tumors has provided the clinical proof-of-concept for exploiting synthetic lethal interactions in cells deficient in particular DNA repair processes. This advertised project aims to identify novel targets and molecular mechanisms that exploit vulnerabilities of tumor cells in the area of DNA repair and genome stability. The advertised position is part of the global Boehringer Ingelheim Postdoc Programme and we encourage applications from individuals with a strong background in cell and molecular biology and an interest in cancer research.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Full responsibility for a research project, working closely with a team of lab scientists and an experienced mentor, with academic and industry background
- Perform mechanistic experiments to unearth the cellular and molecular basis for a recently discovered vulnerability of cancer cells defective in a specific DNA repair pathway
- Conduct unbiased screens and hypothesis-based experiments to identify novel concepts for exploiting DNA repair and genome stability processes in oncology
- Collaborate with academic experts including the possibility to work at the external academic partner lab for defined periods of time
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present data at international conferences
- PhD with strong background in Cell and Molecular Biology
- Experienced with relevant experimental work, e.g. cell biology and imaging, molecular biology, gene perturbations (RNAi, CRISPR/Cas9)
- Experience and expertise in the area of chromatin biology and genome stability is an advantage but not a requirement
- Evidence of scientific rigor and excellence as documented by first author peer-reviewed publications
- Creative thinking and lateral mindset, organized and self-motivated to innovate
- Excellent communication, networking and presentation skills, as well as data analysis and data management skills
- Strong scientific and publication track record
About Boehringer Ingelheim's Postdoc Programme
- The initial appointment is for 2 years fixed term contract with potential for a 1-2 year extension
- As a Postdoctoral Fellow you will benefit from a fully resourced and fully funded research environment with access to state-of-the-art tools, technologies and equipment
- The programme will offer training courses to promote career development and lectures on drug discovery and other industry-relevant topics
- Embedded in the BI Discovery Research organization, you will benefit scientific exchange within the growing BI post doc community, including global BI post doc retreats, and with BI research scientists
- You will be expected to publish your scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and present your data at international conferences
At the end of the programme you will have the opportunity to compete for a transition grant to facilitate starting up your next lab.
- Staff restaurant
- Pension scheme
- Additional off-days (bridge days)
- Comprehensive health promotion
- Position specific training opportunities
For this position we offer an interesting salary package considering your expertise and personal competencies as well as your professional experience. We are obliged by law to state the minimum salary according to the collective agreement, which amounts to EUR 44,286.62 gross per year (full-time) for this position, whereby an overpayment is possible.
Who we are
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key, because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Your HR Recruiting Manager for this Position is Carola Luengo-Espinoza.
We invite you to visit our career site! You will find there more interesting information, such as the application process or about our diverse divisions.
Not exactly the position you are looking for but for someone you know? You can still forward it to friends or colleagues who might be interested. Please use the "share" button at the bottom of the page.